Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Digital Birth


I was going through some news and came across this story that talked about parents posting pictures of their kids before they are even born! This internet security company called AVG did a hug survey on moms in North America and some countries in Europe and discovered at 81% of kids that are no older that two years old, already posses a Facebook identity, absolutely crazy.

According to the research, "the average digital birth of children happens at around six months with a third (33%) of children's photos and information posted online within weeks of being born". What do you guys think of this? I wouldn't say it's bad or negative in any way... but it doesn't feel right for some reason and I can't pinpoint it!

In addition to this, the study showed that 7% of babies and toddlers have email addresses set up for them by parents, and 5% have a network profile! Why ???

The only plausible reason for any of this is sharing the news or your baby or things that are going on in their lives with you family and friends but, there is still something kind of weird about it.

The more I think about it I have come to the conclusion as to why I may be a little turned off to this idea... with all the controversy lately in young adults lives of having this archived identify on Facebook, aren't these parents in a way jump-starting this process for them?? It's interesting to think about!

5 comments:

  1. That is an interesting idea. I never really thought about it before but so many people post pictures of their children and babies when they are young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liz, I've never really thought about it like that, very interesting. Yet it is very true how so many people post pictures of their kids at such a young age, sometimes even right after being born. It's weird to think about how this will affect the future for this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have a problem with parents posting pics of their own babies (born already or not), but I have seen pictures of some of my Facebook friends with the small children they babysit or student teach for. There is def a problem with that and it really surpises me how often it happens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never though about all the baby pictures I see on Facebook until now! I always figured the pictures are just part of the parents identity (or whoever else is posting them) It definitly seems weird though and I agree that something about posting pictures of your child at such a young age seems wrong.I guess it is just another way for family and friends to stay connected and keep up with each other. I don't know how I would feel if my mom had posted pictures of me on a website at such a young age though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, you guys all bring up good points but at the end of the day- I'm don't think I'd care if my mom posted pictures of me when I was a kid...it's not like I could've easily stopped her, right? haha

    ReplyDelete