Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sports are Everywhere, Even Online

Kit's presentation really opened my eyes to social media. A few weeks ago I wrote about how social media is going out of control it seems. In any aspect of life nowadays, you can find anything you need online- it's kind of hard to imagine the days where you couldn't just 'Google' something. Crazy, huh?


After Kit's project was shown in class, I had to go on Facebook and get some more dirt on this media craze, especially with athletics. It's funny, the day of our sports and social media talk, I was friend requested by the CUACardinals on Facebook - here, they have constant updates about how all of the Varsity athletics are doing.

Anyway, since I'm from 'outside of Philly' like everyone else at this school, I had to look up the Philadelphia Eagles and shocker, they have a Facebook page. It has the same kind of setup that Kit was talking about, consisting of team updates, videos, and fan information- it was actually pretty cool and yes, I may or may not be a fan! HAHA


Does anyone in the class participate in social networking with their favorite team??

I found this really cool website where you can pick a team from any sport (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, and NCAA) and chat about sports, see updates and even video all on one page. It is pretty much the same as Facebook, but for some reason I like this site better. What do you think??

Sports Chat

3 comments:

  1. Tory,

    Great post. Unfortunately, I wasn't in class for Kit's presentation, but I'm sure I would have found the topic fascinating.

    I love that Facebook has begun to incorporate sports teams and fan pages onto the site. This is extremely useful for me as a New England Sports Fan because it is hard for me to watch my teams play when I am in D.C. so by following Facebook and other new media forums (such as team blogs etc) I can stay up to date with what is going on even if I can't always watch the games on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome, right?? Sometimes I get in this weird sports-junkie mood and want to know everything and anything that is happening with Philadelphia sports, mainly the Phillies and the Eagles- now, it's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow the Washington Capitals on Twitter, they post a ton of NHL.com links to interviews, footage, and news on the NHL website which is helpful since I don't normally go to the Caps official website. It reminds me of sites like Google Reader. I have a GR and even though I follow sites, I never log into it so it doesn't work the same way. If WashCaps tweets something I find interesting, there's a link right there for me to continue. I also love that they tweet play by play information during games. Caps games are aired on CSN and Versus TV stations and because I don't get Versus, some of the games I miss so it's nice to stay in the loop minute by minute with their tweets.

    Other celebrities I follow like Martha Stewart don't have as great of tweets. Hers are more promotional where the Caps have fun tweets and information.

    ReplyDelete