Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 1, 2010

Is Social Media a Fad or a Revolution??

Where is social media taking us as a culture? If we take a look at the last few years, so many new technologies have sprung up! When we were kids, we didn't have ipods, iphones, laptops as light as air, cell phones with cameras, nothing like that! Now, we have all of these different capabilities that make life incredibly easy, maybe too easy.

I was looking different things up on the internet to post about and I stumbled across this video about social media. The movie is a little longer than 4 minutes but it is really interesting to watch! One statistic in the video says that if Facebook was a country, it would be the 4th largest! A second stat that really stood out to me was that Ashton Kutcher and Ellen DeGeneres have more Twitter followers than the entire population of Panama, Norway, and Panama. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT? I just feel as if people don't talk as much anymore- it's texting, emailing, facebook, myspace, and twitter. Who knows what will happen in a few more years, we may not be talking at all! Do you think this social media revolution is a good thing?

Social Media Revolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIFYPQjYhv8

2 comments:

  1. Wow Tori, that video was insane! I felt that social media was a fad before it, and a short 4 mintue video almost completely changed my mind. I couldn't agree with you more concerning the decline of face to face communication (but here I am writing on a blog). It's startling how little people talk to one another these days, and I can definitely see it getting "worse" over the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, isn't it ridiculous. I never looked at social media in this way until the video. So crazy...wonder what the next ten years will bring, don't you??

    ReplyDelete