Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Will it ever end?

Just wanted to throw up a quick post that really struck me tonight. I was just hanging out in my apartment 'Perez-ing' as my friends and I like to call it, meaning we were on PerezHilton.com, and I was reading through a bunch of the articles and stumbled across yet another homosexual student from Oakland University, Corey Jackson, has committed suicide. I know we talked about Tyler Clementi's case a few weeks ago, but ever since that story erupted I feel like I'm hearing about these gay student related deaths so much more. I can't get over how sad these stories are that these kids feel that low or depressed about their sexual orientation and lives that suicide is the only answer...Now police officials are saying it wasn't 'bully related'- but who can be sure?

2 comments:

  1. The fact that more and more of these stories keep popping up seems to indicate that there is a broader issue here that is just now coming to light, and sadly has only gained attention due to the deaths that have occurred. Ironic how in our world of mass communication and social networking, people can still feel alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting point, and this whole issue is really sad. You'd think with all of the friends someone can have on facebook and they wouldn't feel as alone, but apparently it's the complete opposite. I'm not sure if these episodes will end and all of these stories are being fabricated into something that they may not be. I think the media is only fueling this social media fire.

    ReplyDelete